November 17, 2011

Oliver's Birthday

Meet my nephew, Oliver.


Cute, I know.
His name is rather uncommon currently, but cute none-the-less. Especially since we can call him Ollie, which on occassion gets turned into Ollie-Wallie. You know, like from Wall-E, the movie?

Anyway...this has kind of gotten his mother (my sister, who you can see here) into all things robots for this little guy. His first birthday party was robot themed, so she asked me to make him a robot t-shirt.

My inspiration came from Emily over at The Boy Trifecta who made an adorable little robot applique onsie for her son for Valentine's Day, which you can see here.

And here is how my version turned out:


And a close-up of the applique:


I can't say how he felt about the t-shirt, because he honestly probably could have cared less about what he was wearing. Especially when you can just stuff your face with M&M's until the colored candy goes running down your face.




This kid also loves to snuggle, especially when he's got a nice silky, soft blanket in hand. His blanket of choice is a small, pink-"ish" blanket that used to be my niece's. I say pink-"ish" because it's been very well used. This, combined with the fact that it was pink(-"ish"), often made people do a double-take when they saw Oliver with it, so my sister was looking for a "stand-in."

This is what I came up with:


One side is super soft and cuddly. And the other is cool and silky. Plus, they're blue and brown with a nifty little "O" monogrammed onto them.


He liked them, but I'm afraid to report he still prefers the wornout, pink version better. I guess I can't win them all.


My sister also asked me to decorate the cupcakes. If you know me, you know that I also love to decorate cupcakes. (Notice I said decorate, not make. Two very different concepts.) I have the book What's New, Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson (see there website here) which has the instructions on how to make a cupcake robot. So...


I think he turned out pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

My sister didn't want to have to disassemble the robot during the party, so I also decorated an extra batch of cupcakes using some super cool metalic sprinkles we found at the local grocery store.

And the birthday boy thoroughly enjoyed them. :o)


Happy 1st Birthday, Ollie!


This project was submitted to: 



Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up! I just love this robot - it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's such a cutie!!! :) I love all your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your robot applique is fabulous, especially with the addition of the red heart... so cute!!! The blue blankets look great, too. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trina, I've featured your robot applique today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/02/threading-your-way-features_19.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...