January 4, 2012

Toy Car Storage

My nephew, Peter, loves toy cars. He loves toy cars in all sizes, but the kid has a backpack full of matchbox cars. So when I came across Kimbo's toy car storage idea over at A Girl And A Glue Gun, I knew it was a perfect Christmas gift for him.

Here's how his turned out...


I changed a few things from Kimbo's design, like using a double layer of felt to give the backing a little more stability. And I made more pockets in each row.


Peter also loves the Disney's Cars movies, of course, so I used a Cars themed flannel for the pockets.





I also used a dowel across the top, but used cording instead of ribbon, because I thought it would hold up a little better. You know--Boys will be boys!

And to personalize his car storage, I used a freezer paper stencil to add "Peter's Cars" to the top.



I wouldn't recommend using freezer paper to stencil on felt, as it didn't adhere very well and I had some of the paint seep under the stencil. I may try a vinyl stencil instead.

But the outcome was great, and now his toy cars can be proudly displayed instead of stuffed in a backpack!



This project was featured on:



kimbo's crafts
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That one's nice! It should be made with a strong material though, especially if your kid keeps a lot of cars. The best part should be choosing the design and colors of the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! This could be a good idea for other things as well, if adjusted accordingly--such as for hair things, little girls' jewelry, etc. I wish I had the time to learn and do stuff like this! Oh well, maybe one day!
    Very nice blog style, BTW!
    Have a great week!
    Ang
    (new follower from VB!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When children start growing up, they actually start growing away from the protective environment they have been provided till then. In no time, they start looking for adventure and seek thrills. ride on toys

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...