January 4, 2012

Toy Car Storage

My nephew, Peter, loves toy cars. He loves toy cars in all sizes, but the kid has a backpack full of matchbox cars. So when I came across Kimbo's toy car storage idea over at A Girl And A Glue Gun, I knew it was a perfect Christmas gift for him.

Here's how his turned out...


I changed a few things from Kimbo's design, like using a double layer of felt to give the backing a little more stability. And I made more pockets in each row.


Peter also loves the Disney's Cars movies, of course, so I used a Cars themed flannel for the pockets.





I also used a dowel across the top, but used cording instead of ribbon, because I thought it would hold up a little better. You know--Boys will be boys!

And to personalize his car storage, I used a freezer paper stencil to add "Peter's Cars" to the top.



I wouldn't recommend using freezer paper to stencil on felt, as it didn't adhere very well and I had some of the paint seep under the stencil. I may try a vinyl stencil instead.

But the outcome was great, and now his toy cars can be proudly displayed instead of stuffed in a backpack!



This project was featured on:



kimbo's crafts
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That one's nice! It should be made with a strong material though, especially if your kid keeps a lot of cars. The best part should be choosing the design and colors of the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! This could be a good idea for other things as well, if adjusted accordingly--such as for hair things, little girls' jewelry, etc. I wish I had the time to learn and do stuff like this! Oh well, maybe one day!
    Very nice blog style, BTW!
    Have a great week!
    Ang
    (new follower from VB!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...