January 2, 2012

Travel Coloring Kits

Everyone in my family travels a lot, all for different reasons, so I thought travel drawing kits like those made by Cook Clean Craft would be a perfect Christmas gift for each of the kids. She used markers in her kit, but I'm not so brave.


So I used crayons instead.


I ended up making four of these and they were super cheap, too.



I bought the crayons during back-to-school sales at a whopping forty cents a box, each coloring book from the dollar store, and each kit used one-and-a-half fat quarters at a buck a piece.



To give the kits structure, they're "stuffed" with a piece of cardboard (which I already had on hand, so it was free) and they tie shut with ribbon (which I also already had).


If you decide to make some of these, I'd just like to suggest using corrugated cardboard versus flat cardboard (like that of a cereal box). The first two I made with cardboard from cereal boxes and they're rather flimsy. The second two were made from diaper boxes and were much more stable.





The kids (and their parents) loved them. One of my sisters loved them so much that she's asked me to make a couple for her to give to friends as birthday gifts. I'm thinking about making a tutorial for the coloring kits when I make them. It would be my first tutorial...what do you think?





Some Good Times
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. They look AWESOME! Love them <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see this tutorial. lisamcgriff@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are great! What a great way to jazz up a simple pasttime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. Just pinned this and am a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely genius! I love how easy these would be to take on the go to church, doctor's offices, road trips, etc. And they're cute! Thanks for linking to Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out really nice. Thanks for letting me know you used my tutorial. (I used washable markers in mine - I think they're even less dangerous than crayons!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see the tutorial on how to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. Would love to see a tutorial so I can make one for my son and family members! TOO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun and I love that we can change it up and make it work for anyone!Thank you for linking up!

    Amanda
    everycreativeendeavor.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you posted this...I've been looking for a tutorial on making these! Would you please share this with our readers for fun stuff fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...